When the total number of electrons is NOT equal to the total number of protons, this gives an atom or molecule a net positive or negative electrical charge. An ion is an atom or molecule with a net electric charge due to the loss or gain of one or more electrons. Ions are created by chemical or physical means, via ionization. Ionization is the process by which an atom or molecule acquires a negative or positive charge by gaining or losing electrons to form ions, often in conjunction with other chemical changes. This happens when an electron is lost due to a collision with subatomic particles, other atoms, molecules or ions.
An anion is a negative ion created by radioactive gases, radioactive elements in the soil, lightening, invisible cosmic rays, ultraviolet light/radiation, air flow friction, winds and the friction of blowing sand or dust, falling water from fountains, storms, waterfalls and plants.
• Water falls, like Niagara Falls, inspire because of their beauty, but also because the waves of negative ions from the spray of these falls lowers serotonin levels in the blood. Weather-sensitive people excrete more serotonin then non-sensitive people. Serotonin is secreted by the pineal gland and the intestines, affecting sleep, mood, nerve impulses, and smooth muscle contraction. Chronically low serotonin is characteristic of some types of mental disorders and other physical ailments.
• Falling water in the shower at home creates thousands of negative ions by splitting otherwise neutral particles of air, freeing electrons to manifest their vitalizing function. These electrons join with smaller air particles, which gives them a negative charge.
• On the seashore, where water is always falling as waves break on the beach. An uninitiated ion is a charged particle in the air, which is formed when enough energy acts on a molecule, such as carbon dioxide, oxygen, water or nitrogen, causing it to eject an electron, so the ion then becomes positive. The displaced electron attaches itself to a nearby molecule, which then becomes a negative ion. At the seashore, the ratio is about 2000 negative ions to 1000 positive ions, which seems to be the ratio that human beings respond most favorably to. Perhaps that’s why people flock to the shore for vacations.
Ion counts in nature change constantly near a large waterfall, depending on how water splashes. With every breath, they are drawn into the lungs and are carried by the blood to the cells of the body. However, negative ions work only as long as they are being inhaled through the nose, as they are most readily absorbed through the olfactory nerves. Negative electric ions are in the air we breathe, so taking full deep breaths will help. Still, it’s difficult to take in large amounts of negative ions in nature.
The air around us is filled with electrically charged particles. Ill winds are known to blow all over the world, like the Chinook winds that plague the Rockies and the Santa Ana winds of southern California. As the winds blow in arid areas, they stir up dust and the negative ions are leeched out. The excess of positive ions created by these winds cause people to experience a wide variety of unpleasant physical and mental symptoms. When solar and lunar influences cause the water table to rise in the earth, it forces air out of the ground. Being negatively charged, the earth breathes positive ions.
Lethal doses of positive ions are in city air. Car exhaust, factory emissions, tire dust, cigarette smoke, cooking and heating fumes, dust and soot consume the negative ions by neutralizing them or changing them to positive ions. Todays air-conditioned buildings, trains and planes frequently become supercharged with positive ions, because the metal blowers, filters and air ducts of AC systems strip the air of negative ions before it reaches its destination. People often have the urge to open a window.
• Positively charged ions are also known as “free radicals”.
• Positive ions act on the endings of pulmonary afferent nerve fibers, altering the functional state of the central nervous system and through it, the peripheral organs.
• Positively charged ions slow down the delivery of oxygen to the cells of the body, producing oxygen starvation. It also causes vasoconstriction and increased respiration. It is no wonder why people are becoming increasingly more allergic with every passing decade! Some people have become so intolerant of chemicals that they can’t live anywhere, especially in or near heavily populated areas.
• When the barometric pressure falls, the air fills with an excess of positive ions. Healthy people swiftly adapt to the change, but others become distressed. Respiratory complaints, aching joints, and mental symptoms increase.
• Positive ions can cause people to feel depressed, morose, cranky or ill-tempered, perverse, even suicidal.
Made from petroleum, polyester has a lot of extra potential energy, which can show up as static electricity. Polyester clothing is an electrostatic generator, producing positive ions. Cotton, linen, flax, wool and silk are safer, natural and healthy clothing material.
• The clothing industry has combined scientific fact about negative ions with fiction and created “Negative Ion Health Clothing”, which is said to “surround your body with lots of negative ions, and enjoy the benefits of constant contact with your skin, so healing the body and feeling good couldn’t be easier”. It is marketed to an unsuspecting public who have not educated themselves.
Indoor negative ion count may be below 100 per cubic centimeter. 1000/ccm is the minimal amount for optimum human functioning. Houses need to “breathe”.
• Steel and concrete buildings act as electro-magnetic Faraday cages, absorbing negative ions.
• Synthetic building materials, metal ducts in heating and air conditioning systems, synthetic fabrics in clothing and furniture gobble up negative ions.
• Polyester fabrics and plastics are positively charged and have a tendency to pick up electrons, becoming negatively charged, when it is rubbing up against the skin, which has a tendency to lose charge.
In biochemistry, the interaction of ions with water is extremely important. Anions produce biochemical reactions that are required to sustain human life. For example, it is the energy that creates the breakdown of adenosine triphosphate (ATP). Mitochondria in cells is responsible for the production of energy. The process of metabolizing nutrients from food (metabolism) and oxygen to make ATP (energy) is a process called cellular respiration, which is extremely important to every cell in the body. Most of cellular respiration takes place inside the mitochondria.The more negatively charged electric ions there are in the blood, the more efficient the cell’s metabolic processes are. The more positively charged ions, also known as “free radicals”, there are in the blood, the slower and less efficient the cell’s metabolism, which causes the cells of the body to become weak, sick and age faster. When humans lack negative ions, body chemistry changes and eventually the immune system will completely shut down. When positively charged ions permeate into the cell membrane, it contracts. When negatively charged electric ions permeate into the cell membrane, it expands. The pH (acid/alkaline) of various body fluids often become acidic in conjunction with illness. The cause of acidosis in the blood is the loss of electrons. An inundation of negative electric ions will improve the body’s immunity and resistance to disease.
Negative electric ions have beneficial effects on the body, which include:
• They help to strengthen the functions of autonomic nerves.
• They reinforce collagen.
• They improve the permeability of the cell’s prototype plasma membranes, improving metabolism.
• They strengthen the immune system.
• They neutralize pollutants.
• They stimulate the reticulo-endotherlill system, which is a group of defense cells that help you to resist disease.
• They increase your capacity to absorb and utilize oxygen, and accelerate the deliver of oxygen to your cells and tissues, while at the same time, decreasing the partial carbon dioxide pressure in the blood decreases.
• They speed up the oxidation of serotonin in the blood, which improves mood, pain relief and sex drive.
• They change the migration of calcium ions, which can either deliver calcium to heal broken bones, or move calcium away from painful, arthritic joints.
• Hormone production from the endocrine glands can be increased or decreased by negative ion stimulation.
• They have a positive effect in lowering blood pressure.
• They are effective against the flu, allergy, asthma, bronchial disease and other respiratory related illness.
• They regulate the production of serotonin in the brain. The overproduction of serotonin (serotonin hyper function syndrome or serotonin irritation syndrome (SIS)” is the cause of migraine headaches, tension, sleeplessness, irritability, nausea, heart palpitations, hot flashes, tremor, dizziness, depression, apathy, fatigue, increase in blood pressure, increase broncho-spasm inducing an asthma attach, increased intestinal peristalsis, increased sensitivity to pain and aggression.
• Negative ion treatment is more effective than anti-depressant medications, with no side effects.
• Improved mental and physical performance.
• They help the body recover from injury faster.
• They enhance the metabolism of water-soluble vitamins.
• They raise pH.
• They increase the secretory performance of the mucosa, while reducing respiration and increasing the movement of cilium (microscopic, vibrating hairlike structures on the surface of cells, causing surrounding fluid to move) in the airways.
• They have an antibacterial effect that helps to kill germs in the air.
• They reduce neurosis and anxiety.
• They stimulate appetite and thirst.
• They stimulate sexual behavior.
• Them improve performance of voluntary movements.
• They sharpen mental functioning, concentration and reduce errors.
• They promote alpha brainwaves and increase brainwave amplitude, which creates higher awareness. The alpha waves spread from the occipital area to the parental, temporal and frontal lobes, spreading evenly across both hemispheres, which creates an overall calming effect.
So, how do you encourage the production of negative electric ions in your environment and take them in, while reducing positively charged ions effects on the body?
A negative ion generator (ionizer) will constantly generate a large amount of negative ions. Negative ions attract particles of pollution in the air and give them a negative charge, making them seek electrical ground, which causes them to fall harmlessly to the floor. The dust and particles are no longer airborne, so the air is purified by negative ions.
• The purification capability of a unit will be measured by the percentage of 0.3 micron particles are removed in 2 hours. 90% ranks high. Many manufacturers do not provide this information. Other units may take 6 hours to obtain the same results.
• Today’s ion units apply a high-voltage electrical signal directly to the air to create an intense electric field around emitters, while creating as a byproduct, very little ozone, which is a toxic oxygen allotrope.
• Keep in mind, however, that if something is between you and the generator, the ion count is diminished. If you and the machine are in contact with the same dielectric material, like the unit and your arms are on the desk, a charge will build up between you and the unit, which will repel ions. Your own static charge will repel ions. Synthetic clothing absorbs ions, so wear cotton, linen, silk or wool, which have neutral charges.
• Additionally, ion machine frequencies matter. 60-100 Hz (cycles per second) are stimulating, while less than 25 Hz are relaxing. If you have trouble sleeping with it on, it may be due to the high frequency of the machine. I recommend that you carefully read the manufacturers literature on the ion generator unit you are considering, before you purchase it. There are, as yet, no industry standards for ion generators, so the safety, quality and output is questionable, because the science and industry is still in it’s infancy.
Buyer beware. You want to purchase a ‘non-ozone-producing negative ion generator’. A genuine negative ion generator is NOT a ozone generator. Some brands of "Negative ion generators" being sold today are really ozone generators (or filters), and deliberately generate large quantities of ozone and positive ions. Also, some "ionizers" do generate negative ions internally, but few, if any, negative ions ever leave the unit and go out into the room. Most of these produce ozone.