30 years ago, I used to buy the most perfect looking oranges by the bag at one of the upscale grocery store chains. I made a connection between eating an orange and having nightmares that night. Also, after peeling an orange, my hands were covered with a red substance, so I washed and peeled the remaining oranges under running water, before I ate them. The next time I purchased the same oranges, but I washed them immediately before putting them in the refrigerator. The next morning they looked like the orange pictured above. The chemical was keeping the oranges of questionable age from rotting, and/or aflatoxin from the mold was the source of my nightmares. I switched to organic fruit and never had that experience again.
Mycotoxins & Aflatoxins All living things have their molds, but while they are alive, the mold is kept at bay. When something dies, mold begins to grow and then bacterial action sets in. This action makes things biodegradable and does away with filth. Without mold and decay, the world would be a rubbish heap.
Mycotoxins are some of the most toxic substances known to exist. Molds produce extremely toxic chemicals where ever they grow. Aflatoxins are the most common mycotoxin and they are always present in Hepatitis, cirrhosis and cancer patients, because the body is unable to detoxify it in the period of time that would be required to maintain the present state of health. The liver fights hard to detoxify the body and manage its own survival at the same time. It can regenerate itself, but when aflatoxin reaches the liver it simply kills a portion of it. A considerable dose of aflatoxin can damage the liver for years. Mycotoxins are so extremely poisonous that they must not be consumed, requiring that the liver will have to detoxify them. Even a minute amount can incapacitate the liver for days.
One small spot of mold on a single piece of fruit or vegetable can contaminate an entire batch of juice, jam, soup or other product. Aflatoxin has no taste or smell to guide you away from using that jar of peanut butter or cooking that pasta. For this reason, I stopped using processed fruit and vegetable products. Mold inhibitors in bread and on fruit may not completely prevent mold from growing, but only restrains or hinders it from acting in a natural way. Mold spores may not be visible with unassisted eyes or even a magnifying glass, but what you can't see can hurt you. My experience with the oranges revealed a lot to me! Since then, I select and eat only perfect organic produce and wash them thoroughly in clean water, with powdered vitamin C added. This kills mold and neutralizes any aflatoxins, before they are consumed.
Aflatoxin is the most common mycotoxin. It is produced by molds that grow on a variety of plants. There are 13 other mycotoxins. Grains, fruits, vegetables, tea and coffee, herbs, nuts that grow on trees and nuts that grow in the ground (peanuts) all have their molds. Molds are not picky. They prefer certain plants and conditions, but some molds can grow on a variety of different plants, and food product; cereal, bread, nuts, syrup, juice, vinegar, wine, pasta, etc. If you thoroughly wash your produce in vitamin C, and eat meat, eggs and fish, you will not ingest aflatoxins from these sources. Wrapping bread and other baked goods in plastic keeps moisture trapped and starts the molding process, in spite of adding mold inhibitors. Fresh bread is best kept by putting it into paper bags, so it is exposed to open air. That is how people used to keep bread, until plastic was invented. Adding powered vitamin C to home made bread will cause it to rise higher and be mold free for an extended period of time.
Heating food to the boiling point does not kill mold. Boiling at higher temperatures does kill mold, but it also destroys nutrition. Baking temperatures do kill mold, but not ergot mold. Baking also destroys aflatoxin that was produced by the mold and left behind. Foods that can't be heated, like nuts, can be detoxified by using powdered vitamin C, which chemically destroys mold toxin molecules. Rinse in plain water first and then allow the nuts to soak for at least 5 minutes, so the vitamin C can penetrate the surface. Pour off the water and eat immediately. Bread can't be salvaged. Fresh bread made at home can be frozen immediately and used as needed from the freezer. I make my own nut butter from sprouted (living things don't mold) almonds and freeze in 8 oz. containers to use as needed. This does not allow time for the mold to grow and preserves nutrition.
Zearalenone is metabolite that is frequently found in commercially processed foods and feeds, and has been reported to cause high estrogen levels and infertility in livestock. This can also contribute to the development of breast cancer, cause early maturity, PMS, ovarian cysts and infertility in women. This estrogen-like mycotoxin can drastically effect the maturing process in males also. It also depresses the immune system and cause the thymus gland to atrophy.
Sterigmatocystin is found in abundance in commercial pasta, because it is made of inferior quality flour. Make your own pasta or add vitamin C to water when cooking pasta. Also high temperature is needed to kill this mold.
Ergot is a food mold that produces toxins that can cause strange feelings and behaviors, like those from LSD, and Bipolar Disorder. The toxins are not destroyed by heat. Found in cereals, whole grain breads, wines and honey. The combination of Ergot and aflatoxin in beer and wine is even more toxic than either is alone, because the alcohol drives the toxin deeper into the tissues, resulting in the bizarre behavior and speech of intoxicated people.
Cytochalasin B is another immune depressing fungus, found mostly in pasta. It stops cells from dividing, so dead portions of the liver cannot regenerate as they normally would after detoxifying.
Kojic Acid is a mold that grows on potatoes. It may be responsible for wood alcohol build up, by preventing the liver from detoxifying wood alcohol. This damages the body and invites pancreatic flukes, which can result in diabetes. Remove any gray parts of potato flesh and remove the skin.
T-2 Toxin is a mold that can contribute to high blood pressure and kidney disease. It is on dried peas and beans. Treat it by soaking in water with vitamin C powder.
Sorghum Molds are found in brown sugar, sorghum and millet. I rinse my millet in vitamin C water before cooking. These mold toxins can cause hemorrhaging (strokes and purple blotches on the skin of the elderly), appetite loss, and an inability to swallow.
Patulin is a major fruit mold toxin that is most common on bruised fruit. The mold that produces this toxin can grow in your intestine, allowing E. coli and Shigella to enter your bloodstream through the colon wall and become systemic.
Avoid molds by staying away from crackers, bread in plastic bags, dried fruit, peanut butter, teas in bags, brown sugar. Store as much as you can in the freezer, not the cupboard. Remember anything that comes out of the freezer develops moisture inside, so use immediately. Also, you can't see or smell molds when they first begin to grow. Molds must have moisture and warmth to grow.
- About Johnna
- Contact Me
- Expectations & Fees
- Blog Archive Title Page
- Health Blog
- Nutrition Blog
- Emotional Health Blog
- Recipes Blog
- Living, Loving & Life Lessons
- Pets Blog
- Johnna Photos
- Happy Abady Pets Photos
- People Products
- Pet Products
- Legal Stuff
- Site Map